Thursday, July 18, 2013

Walk by Faith

A small laminated sign in my Corps Officers office, just above her desk that said, 'I walk by faith and not by sight'. A good reminder I guess, and I didnt think much more of it at the time.
Recently, I was talking to two of my favourite women in the world (seperately) and both times I found myself wondering what it means to walk in faith and not by what we see. Now before you all start thinking that I dont listen to people when they talk to me, what they were both saying relates.
Both were having things in their life, that they were struggling with. Both were believing in God for an response/answer or fix to the problems plaguing them. Two women of faith, who I look up to a lot, both struggling and believing in God for a resolution.
It wasnt until after I got off the phone with them (seperately) that I really thought about it.
What does it mean to walk by faith and not by what we see?
I started thinking about these women could see. Financial problems, debt, work issues, self-confidence problems. These are what they could see. Thats what we look at. The Bible isnt talking about trees and grass when it talks about things we can see. It is talking about the actual things in our life that we look at. What are we focused on?
I know for me, my life and decisions I have made, have been based on these things I can see in front of me. I can see debt, I can see being seperated from loved ones, I can see my own limitations. This is my walk. This is what my walk is based on.
Jesus doesnt want us living our lives BASED on the things around us that we can see. He wants us to be based on FAITH.
What you see around you is worldly and if we choose to accept these things, then this is what our life is. If we believe for more, walk by faith, then our lives are so much more than the issues that we see around us.
"Only faith can guarantee the blessings that we hope for, or prove the existence of realities that are unseen." (Heb 11:1 NJB)
What are we currently believing for that is unseen?
I know that for me, my focus needs to change. I need to stop being focused on these issues in my life that I can see. I need to live in faith. I dont want my next decision to be based on these things I can see. I dont want to be guided by what the world has for me. I want to be guided by what Jesus has for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment